Sunday, October 2, 2011

UTG OP Tactical Bipod Review
Retail Price: $34.99
Purchase Price: $29.99 (Amazon.com)

What the manufacturer data states:

Bipod w/ legs extended
The UTG Tactical OP Bipod is a handy, accuracy-enhancing accessory for your rifle. Durable aluminum construction and a steel top platform hold up to years of heavy use, while a clever dual mounting design includes both Picatinny and swivel stud mounts. Foldable arms with spring tension control help steady your weapon, and include a Posi-Lock wheel and quick retraction button.

Specifications
  • Includes panning, Posi-Lock, extendable/foldable legs, and dual mounts
  • Rubberized stand
  • 13.3-ounce weight
  • Fits Swivel Stud & Picatinny/Weaver Rail
  • Foldable Arms with Robust External Spring Tension Control
  • Fully Adjustable Legs
  • Posi-lock Wheel & Quick Retraction Button
  • Center Height: Adjustable from 8.1”-12.7”
  • Leg Length: Adjustable from 7.9”-12.7”
Warranty
UTG accessories include a limited one-year manufacturer's warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

Weapons & Gear Review

Bipod w/ legs retracted
Upon my initial purchase I was a bit skeptical due to the low purchase price. ($29.99 on Amazon.com)  I usually am the type of guy to spend the largest amount to ensure I get a quality product - which doesn't always work out the best!  The UTG Bipod had multiple 5-star reviews with a few 4-star reviews which helped to guide my purchase.  Here follows my personal review of the product.  If you have this same bipod and wish to add comments please feel free to do so.  Well, lets get it started:

Packaging: (Grade A)
The UTG Tactical Bipod comes shipped in a plastic see-through box.  I was a bit curious about that but assume that the metal doesn't cut through the hard plastic as well as it would a cardboard box.  When you open the package you are presented with the Bipod in a plastic bag along with the separate Swivel Stud mount for non-picatinny/weaver rails.  This swivel stud is also enclosed in a plastic bag.


Attached Picatinny/Weaver
Mount






First Impression:
My initial reaction when opening the Bipod was that it was very well constructed.  The components seems solid and very strong.  Of course, this is before I have actually used it.  The Bipod comes with the Picatinny/Weaver Rail mount attached (see picture to the left).  So if you are going to attach it to a regular rifle you will need to install the Swivel Stud mount. 







Attached to Rail on AR-15


Magazine Clearance
Installation: (Grade A)
To install on a typical picatinny/weaver rail was a breeze.  The pictures to the right and below show the installed product on one of my AR-15's.  It was a simple slide on and tighten the flat-tipped screw/bolt down to your desired tightness.  Always ensure you do not over-tighten.  But then again, if you make it too lose, you may lose your bipod upon firing.  After installation I set the rifle up for pictures so you could see the installed product.  I also took a picture (above right) to show that with the lowest setting on the bipod and a 30-round Colt magazine installed, there is about 1/4" of clearance below the magazine with the rifle standing on it's own.  If the bipod is raised all the way the clearance would be approximately 3.5".  This may not be enough to swap magazines without lifting the buttstock to do so.  A shorter magazine may correct this problem.  
Full rifle with UTG Bipod, magazine inserted


Front View of AR-15 with UTG Bipod installed

Final Call: (Grade A)
Before I make a full grade let me say that I have yet to take this to the range.  I will update with the range test paragraph as soon as I can get there.  It will be sometime this week.  But for now, I can say that the craftsmanship is solid, the parts work, packaging and installation were easy.  For $29.99 you cannot beat this bipod (minus range test).  Full determination to follow.  

7 comments:

  1. I have always been impressed with UTG/UAG products. Good review, post the update after the range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! So far I can't complain. Especially for the price. Range day is Friday, will post a final word then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great write-up, thanks for the information!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem, let me know what else you want reviews on. I'm working on a AK vs. AR comparison review. Suggested by my brother. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to see reviews on the Fenix name brand flash lights :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll work on that. See if I can get my hands on a couple to do a vs. comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mhanks03, I have a Fenix Tactical Flashlight on the way. I will be doing a comparison to one of my surefire tactical lights. Should be done by Friday!

    ReplyDelete